Today, modern cooks are able to get away from the calories from rich sauces and gravies by using more of a plant-based herb, vegetable, and nut sauces with much less fat, salt, and sugars. This particular green sauce is very good for flavoring meats, vegetables, and salads for a real pick-me-up for recipes.
This recipe for the “Best Ever Green Sauce”, comes from a member at Elite Sports Club – Mequon who is an accomplished cook and enjoys putting great things together to eat that will facilitate her healthy menus. Try it out!
Best Ever Green Sauce Recipe:
Prep Time: 5-10 minute
- 1-cup packed tight, combination of fresh parsley and cilantro leaves
- 1-jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed
- 3-cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1-2- whole limes, depending on how much lime taste you would like
- 1/2-cup water
- 1/2-cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1-tsp salt
- 1/2-cup pistachios, you can use another nut
- Pulse all ingredients minus the nuts in food processor.
- Add pistachios and pulse until mostly smooth
- Serve as a dip, spread, or simple sauce to flavor any foods.
- You can add additional water or oil to thin the sauce for use as a dressing or a marinade.
Calories from this sauce would be 35 per 2-Tbsp serving; also rich in vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A & C, potassium, niacin, and folate.
Try this out for a great new flavor in your menu!
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.