If you read our post from last week, you’ll know that most of us probably aren’t getting enough vegetables in our diet on a daily basis. This creamy asparagus soup recipe is a great way to help up your veggie intake and is good to have prepped for a busy day.
Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe
Makes 10, 1- cup servings
Preparation Time: 20-minutes
Cooking Time: 20-minutes
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cup low-fat milk
- Lemon zest to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a large pot on high heat, combine the potatoes, asparagus, onion, celery, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 15-minutes. Stir in butter.
- In a bowl whisk flour and milk. Pour mixture into the pot, stirring constantly.
- Increase heat to medium-high and continue to stir until soup is thick, about 5-minutes. Remove from heat and season with lemon zest and pepper.
Per 1-cup serving: 145 calories, 23 gCarbohydrates, 6 g Protein, 71 mg Sodium, and 5 g Fiber.
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.