We’re big fans of Debbie Novak over here at Elite Sports Club – West Brookfield. Not only is she an awesome group exercise instructor, but she’s also our Youth & Playroom Director! Here’s just a bit about Debbie and her work as an instructor, and we encourage you to try one of her classes or stop by and visit her in the playroom.
Meet Debbie Novak:
1. What classes do you currently teach? Burn and Firm, Kettle Worx (core and resistance), Body Pump and Body Step
2. How long have you been teaching group exercise? 20 years! I’ve been teaching at Elite since 2003.
3. What made you want to start teaching group exercise? I started taking classes in college (Xavier University) and really enjoyed it. Xavier offered a class to learn how to teach and then held “try-outs.” I was chosen to teach and enjoyed it so much that i went on to get certified and have been teaching ever since.
4. What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)? I love the energy of group exercise, the community feel and being able to motivate others.
5. What your favorite song or style of music to teach to? I like anything with a good beat and uplifting lyrics.
6. What is your favorite exercise to do in your class? Lunges!!!
7. How do you stay active outside of your own classes? I love to go for walks, although I seldom have time for that. Keeping up with my 3 children and all of their sports keeps me busy.
8. What else do you enjoy doing in your free time? I love reading, baking, and spending time with my kids.
9. What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time? I usually say “Just keep moving! It’s your workout and it’s ok if you don’t get the T step the first time. Be persistent and don’t get discouraged because it does get easier the more you do it.”
10. What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life? You’ve got to start somewhere, so it’s ok to start small. Group exercise is a great way to start working out because there’s a set time you have to be there, an instructor to tell you what to do, and you are surrounded by others with the same goal as you
Has Debbie Novak or another instructor positively affected your life or experience at Elite? Tell us about it!
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.