It can be challenging to have so many food choices at Summerfest. This year, for their 50th Celebration, there is going to be an all-out effort to have the very best of new and old favorites. Just perfect for all of us! Let’s take a look at what to eat at Summerfest in Milwaukee this year. And, at the same time, what may make for the healthiest choices while you’re there.
First of all, be sure to download the official 2017 Summerfest App to give you all the important information about this year’s festival. It will even guide you via GPS to favorite restaurants and where daily activities will be happening.
Where to eat at Summerfest 2017:
There are 45 vendors with a focus on local food suppliers. And, there will be over 50 new food items and beverages. Surely, you will find something you enjoy.
I am hoping through this blog post that you will find:
- What and where the new eats are
- What do you want to eat before or after a show
- What are your health goals for the day…Yes, goals!
New beverage options:
In addition to the tasty Miller Lite products at the new Miller Brew House and Miller Long Bar new craft beers will be available all in new flight sizes and the full size pours. This gives fest-goers a chance to taste part of the 14 new explorer tastes without a lot invested.
Valentine Coffee, new this year as a vendor, will offer hot and cold Coffees, Cafe Mocha, Cafe Au Lait, and Espresso.
Two of the most popular vendors will add new locations this year:
Charcoal Grill to include these favorites: Rotisserie Chicken, Turkey Legs, Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts, BBQ Ribs, Wisconsin Winter Salad, Pulled Pork.
Peter Sciortino Bakery favorites include Eclairs, Tiramisu, and the Latvian cookies we have come to enjoy.
New Foods will include these tasty treats:
- AJ Bombers Bacon Cheeseburger Combo, featuring a smashburger-style patty, American cheese, and crisp Nueske’s bacon on a potato bun, and tater tots on the side.
- Angelo’s Stuffer Pasta Pizza, crust stuffed w/penne pasta, homemade meatballs and sausage, with cheese and signature sauce.
- Auntie Anne’s Bucket of pretzel nuggets.
- Botanas Non-alcoholic Horchata; condensed milk, rice water, and cinnamon.
- Cedar Crest Ice Cream Waffle Nachos Hot Fudge Sundae.
- Chubby’s Cheesesteaks Spicy Pepper Jack Cheese Bites.
- Cousins Subs “Big Cheese” sandwich of chicken and beef, a variety of cheese slices and cheese curds on the top.
- Divino’s Garlic Breadsticks and Burrata Caprese with mozzarella, tomatoes, olive oil.
- Dessert Pizza sugar coated fry dough, topped with Nutella Chocolate spread, fresh whipped cream.
- Flannery’s Bar and Restaurant Blackened Chicken Panini.
- Greek Village Keftedes (Greek Meatballs), Gyro Supreme.
- Island Noodles Island Slaw, gluten free Island Coleslaw with chicken, and fruits.
- Mader’s Bacon Spatzle “Mac and Cheese”.
- Martino’s Pretzilla
- Pitch’s & Miss Katie’s Diner Walking Pasta, meatballs, pasta, on a toothpick.
Before you arrive at Summerfest, be sure to have had some extra fluids and food items before you enter. If you weren’t aware, you are not able to carry in any food or beverages.
What to eat at Summerfest to not sabotage your diet:
My best suggestions will be to eat on the lighter side, especially if it is going to be warm outdoors. That will mean; choices of fruit, vegetable plates with dips, pretzels, small meatball sandwiches, roasted chicken on a spit, roasted vegetables and corn, simple salads, and desserts such as small Italian cookies. Try new menu items, such as Cousin’s new Sub, a Veggie Burger and certainly, stay cool with lots of cool beverages. All and all, just remember that heavy meals in high temperatures is not going to be what you want.
- Try to stay light on food choices. For ice cream, go with one scoop. Spreading your calories.
- The heaviest items will include lots of salt, sugar, and fats.
- Favorite ingredient this year is, of course, bacon.
- If you do have that larger sandwich then maybe you can skip some of the fries. Or split a sandwich with someone else and enjoy the rest of your calories elsewhere.
My favorite is the sandwiches from Water Street Brewery. They are lighter in nature and have incredible tasty ingredients.
Lastly, Summerfest goes for several days in a row, I would suggest that you plan several items you would like to try, but not all in the same day. Over the couple of weeks, you will have spread out your calories and your chance to taste several items!
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.