By Rita Larsen, RD; Elite Sports Clubs Dietitian and Nutrition Counselor
Many people are busy today with work and activities other than preparing meals. You may want to try this smoothie recipe as a fun addition to your meals.
One good suggestion is taking this to work with you after you have prepared it and frozen it in freezer cups. Then, throughout the day, you are able to take out of your lunch bag and let it defrost. Shake well and it is ready to drink!
Reasons to hop on the Green Smoothie craze:
- It can contain all the fruits and vegetables that you need daily.
- It can also have additional ingredients based upon what you have on hand.
- Protein powder can be added in the form of soy, whey, rice, or casein. If you do add one of these, you can consider this smoothie a complete meal!
- It tastes great! See for yourself if this is something that would be tasty for breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner!
Note: It is best to use a high powered blender. Don’t have one? Then just remove some of the peel from citrus.
Green ingredients can often vary based upon your tastes. (But, not all greens are easy to blend!) Try these ingredients at your own pace:
- Seedless cucumber, 1/3 to 1/2 English version
- 1-large bunch Spinach (or Kale!), fresh and cleaned (sometimes it helps to freeze in advance)
- 1-Kiwi, peeled and diced
- 1-Avocado, peeled and diced
- 1-Lime, whole including the rind, cut into at least 8 pieces
Try adding these for additional flavor, texture, & nutrition!
- Cuties or mandarin oranges, including the skin
- Flax Seeds, 2-Tbsp. or Flax Seed Oil
- Plain or Greek yogurt
These smoothies provide all the nutrients that a meal could provide. They are especially high in antioxidants, B complex vitamins, minerals, such as iron and potassium, and are high in fiber.
Just another way to increase our nutritional strength without all the fuss in the kitchen!
Calories: 16-oz. portion for 175 calories; with 2-scoops of protein added, 16-oz portion for 375 calories. For more helpful nutritional advice and recipes, tell us a little more about your goals! Or check out our ongoing health & nutrition programming for everyone from children to adults!
There are MANY more possible green ingredients to include in smoothies. What are some of your own suggestions? Do you drink green smoothies?
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.