Working out in the water is a great option year-round here at Elite Sports Clubs. Today we’d like to introduce you to one of our many excellent water exercise class instructors, Jennifer Grosshandler. She loves being in the pool and introducing members to new ways of exercising.
Meet Jennifer Grosshandler:
1. What classes do you currently teach? H2O Blast
2. How long have you been teaching group exercise? 18 years
3. What made you want to start teaching group exercise? Honestly, I was looking for a job in college and I had a friend who taught water aerobics and got me into the program. I always loved swimming and being in the pool and once I tried it, I loved it and have been teaching ever since.
4. What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)? The people. I love seeing everyone each week and the energy you get from a class that enjoys what they’re doing.
5. What your favorite song or style of music to teach to? I love when I’ve picked music that people in class start to sing to.
6. What is your favorite exercise to do in your class? Cross Country Ski. There are so many variations that you can do with it to work different parts of the body. I personally love moves that you can suspend with, which cross country ski is perfect for, and you get the added benefit of taking pressure off the joints with suspended moves in the water.
7. How do you stay active outside of your own classes? Yoga and my three dogs.
8. What else do you enjoy doing in your free time? I love to kayak, stand up paddle (SUP), snowshoe, read, volunteer work, and DIY projects—usually always have a project or two going on .
9. What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time? Have fun. If you’ve never done a water class before, don’t worry—just keep moving and have fun, the moves will come with practice.
10. What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life? Don’t get overwhelmed or compare yourself to others, it’s a different journey for everyone. Spend time figuring out what inspires you. Not sure what inspires you? Then try different things—you might be surprised by what you end up liking. And celebrate your accomplishment no matter how big or how small!
Have you taken a class with Jennifer Grosshandler? What did you think? What’s your favorite workout in the water?
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.