Today we’d like to introduce you to another member of the Elite Sports Clubs team, Keri Abegglen. Keri is a group exercise instructor at our Brookfield location.
Meet Keri Abegglen:
1. What classes do you currently teach?
I currently teach cycle and hope to get certified to teach more.
2. How long have you been teaching group exercise?
I’ve been teaching for six months.
3. What made you want to start teaching group exercise?
I started taking spin classes 10 years ago and loved the sense of community. I’ve learned a lot from different instructors over the years, and I hope to motivate and educate others.
4. What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)?
Looking around the room and seeing everyone work hard!
5. What your favorite song or style of music to teach to?
I try to make my playlists with a variety of music, and include songs that are fun to sing along with. Lately I’ve been adding in more 90s rock, and I love sneaking in some 80s music when I can.
6. What is your favorite exercise to do in your class?
Tabata intervals — the sets of 20 seconds of intense work followed by 10 seconds of rest make the four minutes fly by and get the heart rate up.
7. How do you stay active outside of your own classes?
Running, chasing after my kids and participating in other group exercise classes at Elite.
8. What else do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I love traveling — last year I was able to go to Europe, Guatemala, and Florida a few times. I also enjoy cooking, trying new restaurants and reading.
9. What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time?
Introduce yourself. It’s important to get set up correctly on the bike and a quick overview of how the bike works will help you be more successful during class. And take the ride at your own pace, while giving the best effort you can.
10. What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life?
A healthy lifestyle is a journey. Start with small changes that you can stick with and give it time to see results. When those changes become habits, see if there’s other healthier choices you can incorporate. Choosing healthier foods and getting more active every day will make a difference if you stick with it.
Have you taken a class with Keri Abegglen? Share your experience with us!
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.