By Rita Larsen, RDN; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Just in time for Thanksgiving, try this seasonal soup featuring jalapeno peppers and onions to create a flavorful butternut squash soup perfect for your holiday gathering!
Prep Time: 45-60 minutes; includes ingredient preparation and cook time.
- 2-Tbsp. butter
- 2-medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2-cloves, chopped fine
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2-jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. turmeric as ground spice
- 5-cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-cup tomato puree
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Cover the pan. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 3 or 4-minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the butternut squash, jalapenos, chicken broth, and tomato puree.
- Bring to a simmer; cook for 30-minutes.
- Mash the squash to a chunky puree with a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
- Add turmeric; salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and pass lime wedges separately to be squeezed into each bowl of soup.
Each serving provides a good source of vitamin A and C, folate, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Calories: 128; Fats: 3.1gm; Fiber: 4 gm; Sodium: 365 mg; Protein: 4 gm; Carbohydrate: 24 gm.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.