When you think about having friends over for appetizers, you think you have to spend the afternoon in the kitchen. Right? Wrong!
Here is a quick recipe for a great tasting salsa, done in just 10 minutes, that provides one good shortcut!
Sweet Orange Chipotle Salsa Recipe
(adapted from this recipe)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 3 full cups salsa
- 1-(15.5 oz. can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-(10 oz package) frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3-cup chopped red pepper
- 1/3-cup chopped red onion
- 1/3-cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼-cup Reduced Sugar sweet orange marmalade*
- 1-(11 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1-3 tsp. chopped chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce to taste**
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl except the chile peppers.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Season with chile peppers to taste and serve with baked tortilla chips.
- Keeps in refrigerator for 2-3 days—if there is any left!
For ½ cup, this product is 80 calories; and high in fiber, vitamin A and C; potassium.
*This marmalade is half the calories of regular marmalade. Or use a regular naval orange and slice thin with peel and all membrane.
**This mixture is medium to hot depending on your tastes. Start with 1-tsp. mixture with adobo sauce until it reaches desired flavor.
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.