Fall is upon us and with it comes all the fun activities and seasonal delights associated with this time of year. One of the reasons that makes fall so wonderful is the abundance of apples! Not only are apples tasty and can be used in a wide variety of meals, snacks, and, dare I say it, desserts, they are also associated with fun activities to get you out and moving. Let’s look at what makes them so great and some delicious apple recipes to get you into the fall spirit. Continue reading What Makes Apples So Great?
A quick and easy snack or appetizer that will be sure to delight the palates of all you are serving!
Pecans are often a favorite during the fall months, especially around Thanksgiving. They are quite versatile, and can be seasoned sweet or savory. Pecans make a great topper for desserts, salads, starches such as sweet potatoes, and even meat. So, give this a recipe a try to get you started, and then share with us how you use them in the comments.
(Bonus: this is a complete microwave recipe.) Continue reading Roasted Butter Pecans Recipe
Here in Wisconsin we have been far from the “frozen tundra” our state has been so fondly nicknamed. Granted, it’s only October, but this time of year tends to be quite unpredictable for our lovely corner of the world. We have seen everything from rain, to sleet, to snow during the Autumn months. (I fondly remember Trick-or-Treating in my snowpants one year as a child.) Continue reading Fit for Fall: Exercise & Activity Ideas for Cooler Weather
It’s amazing how quickly summer comes and goes. Before you know it, the air is crisp, the leaves are turning and the sweaters are coming out of the back of the closet. Just because cold-weather clothing provides a little more coverage, doesn’t mean we have to let that summer body go. With “back to school” time comes a little more routine and therefore the capability for a consistent workout strategy to help you maintain that physique you worked so hard for this summer.
Try some of the tips below to get started in creating your own Back to School Fitness Routine.
- Just like you plan out the kids’ schedules on the family calendar, build in some workout time for yourself as well. Remember, just 30 minutes a day can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Things can get hectic and you may not be able to get away on your own to the gym. Don’t forget to take advantage of your health club’s child services or playroom. If unavailable, try playing basketball with the kids or taking advantage of the pool. We often forget that play is not just fun, but also a good workout.
- Be prepared for your workouts, otherwise you will be more likely to skip them. When you pack your kids’ lunches, pack your gym bag or set out your clothes/shoes for your morning run.
- If you think of working out as something as necessary as brushing your teeth, you won’t feel inclined to pass it up if you get busy. It will just become a part of your daily routine.
- Be flexible and get creative. Sometimes the unexpected will interfere with your plans, that’s inevitable. Don’t beat yourself up over it though. Take a deep breath, and re-adjust. See if your group exercise class is offered at a different time or club location, or even do squats and lunges while you make dinner.
- Stay fit by incorporating workouts into family activities. Take date night out of the restaurant and onto bikes in the park. Turn family game night away from board games and into the backyard. Who doesn’t love a good game of Kick the Can or Ghost in the Graveyard?
Remember, back to school time isn’t all about the kids, it’s about you too. Summer will be back again before you know it!
Are you excited to get back into a routine? What about your workout routine changes between summer and the school year?
Don’t forget to get the kids back into a routine too with Elite Sports Clubs youth tennis lessons and youth swim lessons! Registration is now open for Fall and Winter sessions!