Boot camp has become a popular exercise trend because of the intense combination of strength training and cardiovascular exercises. Boot camp workouts are designed as a type of interval training—bursts of intense activity alternated with intervals of lighter activity. Different exercises that boot camp workouts may entail would include: pull-ups, push-ups, lunges, squats and crunches, as well as drills and sprints. These exercises may be performed using body weight only or with actual hand weights.
- Boot camp workouts provide a total body workout that contributes to building both strength and endurance.
- Individuals who participate in boot camp tend to thrive off of the challenging exercises and the relationships they build with other participants.
- According to an article from Mayo Clinic, “a nonprofit fitness organization that studied boot camp workouts found that the average exerciser burns approximately 9.8 calories per minute during a typical boot camp workout.”
- A well-structured boot camp workout will include at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise along with a variety of strength training exercises. AKA, the best of both worlds!
- By participating in a boot camp workout once a week, you can get one step closer to meeting the minimum requirements of physical activity for a healthy adult.
- Boot camp workouts are designed for fit individuals who are looking to mix up their routine and increase their intensity.
- Boot camp workouts can easily be modified for the participants.
Please note: When considering trying a boot camp workout, ask the instructor about the basic structure of the class, instructor’s qualifications, and it never hurts to ask others who have participated before what they think. If you are older than 40, pregnant, haven’t exercised for some time or you have health problems, you should talk to your doctor prior to starting any type of exercise program. Also, when you decide to try out your first boot camp workout, inform the instructor that it is your first time and of any health issues. This will help ensure that your first boot camp workout experience is fun and successful!
Check out the Milwaukee Bucks Energee Dance Team boot camp at Elite Sports Club-Mequon below!
Visit our Fitness Calendar for more information on our boot camps and other small group training programs! Not sure where to start? Let us help you find the right boot camp (or other fitness program) for you!
What makes you the most nervous about trying boot camp? Is there something that has been holding you back? Tell us in the comments!