By Rita Larsen, RDN; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Using up those leftovers off the bones can be an intimidating experience at first, but have no fear, this recipe will help you learn to take advantage of every part of that turkey!
- Leftover turkey frame
- 12 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- Leftover pan drippings, if available
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2-3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2-tsp. salt, if desired, and to taste
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2-3 cups leftover chunked turkey
- In a soup pot, combine all ingredients except turkey chunks.
- Let the soup boil over high heat, reducing heat to low, then simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- For the last 30 minutes, remove the turkey frame, add the turkey chunks.
- Then serve. You can add cooked egg noodles to make this an even heartier soup.
Per 12 ounce serving: 211 calories, 14 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 20 g protein. Sodium will vary from 258 mg to 485 mg per servings, depending on whether you use low sodium broth and add extra salt to taste.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.