This relish or simple side comes to us from an Elite Sports Club – North Shore member and grandmother, who enjoys making this for her family with fresh vegetables right out of the garden. In my opinion, it is far tastier than just a regular platter of cucumber and tomatoes. And at this time of year, you may be looking for some new ways to serve this plentiful dish.
Wilted Cucumber & Tomato Relish Recipe
Makes 3-5- cups total
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 3-whole cucumbers, cleaned, peeled, and sliced thin
- 5-tomatoes, large, slice in 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2-cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2-cup water
- 1-Tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs to taste, from your garden, can be added, chopped
- Cut up and layer cucumber and tomatoes in a dish.
- Heat wilting solution in a pan until boiling; water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the vegetables. Cool in refrigerator until wilted and ready to serve.
- Add your fresh herbs; parsley, basil, and thyme as desired.
This relish will last several days in the refrigerator. Cover, and keep eating!
Good source of vitamin A & C, several minerals, less than 50 calories per serving.
Enjoy the rest of your summer bounty!
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.
This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All material in this article is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, and before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program.